Back to school…

Today is my first day back in school (with other people, I have actually been in for the last five days working in my office alone!) Our teacher’s and support staff have two INSET days and then our children return Wednesday.

So in our training today, we have covered all the same ground as usual including Staff handbooks, timetables, diary dates, safeguarding rules etc. However, today we have also begun to dip our toe in our new ‘Climate Change ‘ curriculum. Staff have spent most of the day revising their existing curriculum planning to ensure ‘Climate Change’ is well and truly on our school curriculum. This is not just as a bolt on to what we already do. But will, well and truly, become part of the curriculum we offer everyday.

Staff were all up for doing this, and in discussions both formally and informally through out the day, made a commitment which just blew my socks off!

Today, every member of staff in our school has made a commitment to complete the full Climate Change teacher course before the end of the Autumn term. This means all of our leaders, teaching staff, support staff and pastoral staff will join me, the first UNCCheadteacher, in become accredited Climate Change teachers. This will make us the first school in the UK to make this commitment. All of this without any pushing from me. How lucky am I and the children of Bolsover to have such dedicated staff?

We will make a difference one step at a time!

Published by

Fiona Cowan

Told from my perspective I hope it gives you a flavour of what our children experience at school and beyond.